aww, nobody sees my upload
#1 01-09-2011 
XanderGC;8575 Wrote:You're welcome!

It probably slipped by because uploaded creations don't get front page notice anymore

yea they do. We have the fresh fish which is for new uploads. I NEVER had the downloads in the "main" panel (where fish pics and finds go), so that isn't a change. What I CAN do (and shall, I think) is bring back the "random download" as a single box on the side with all the other DL stuff.

I know we had the random download banner, but its a LOT of images loading - which slows the user experience, its NOT bandwidth (we have heaps of bandwidth, we use about 10% of what we have allocated) - its page speed.
See, what I used to do (back in the days when it was just me and BO) I used to leave a day or so between uploads. That stopped items getting pushed off.

CURRENTLY - we have the "fresh fish" , the faves, and the whats hot. I will chuck in a random DL box....
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#2 01-09-2011 
On the other hand, the large random downloads banner of old had the advantage that you saw many more different things at the same time... Now, depending on *when* you look at a certain panel, you might miss things, which was then a little less likely.
But I understand why that had to go, and I'm not urging you to bring it back at all.

I hardly ever look at portal anymore, except for the "Recent Posts" and the "User Options" sections which are conveniently stacked on the same side of the screen, so I'm more likely to miss new stuff that comes along in those little boxes on the other side.

What I *do* miss, though, is a way to push important downloads to the portal. Finds, movies, picture threads, they can all be pushed on portal (and they ALL invariably do) getting a heap of attention, but if there's such an option in my uploads page, I either haven't recognized it, or it isn't working at all.

#3 01-09-2011 
Well, I do listen to you guys, so I have put a random DL selection on the front page - it refreshes every 5 mins and is a random dl from all areas.

Re the new posts - or latest uploads - I hear you - the only thing with the "news" set up was it also needed to be "denewsd" once it got old. I WAS doing something with that - I will see what I can do....

#4 01-09-2011 
Of course, when I create something that needs extra attention, I could also just create an article in a different section that DOES show on portal, and then link from there... But then there'd be two threads on the same subject, and I *do* try to watch my manners. Tongue

#5 01-09-2011 
heck BO, I do it all the time Big Grin. Post a thing in what are you working on and I will make sure it pops up on the portal .... Garage can go to portal if you like ...

* leefish presses the "Garage to Portal" button...

#6 02-09-2011 
Ah wonderful idea! But won't that also cause all requests to go front-page? Because that was what the Garage was mostly meant for Smile We don't want to annoy anyone with all kinds of frivolous silly questions on the front page, do we? Or do I have some button there that only works for *me* so I can choose what's aired and what not?

#7 02-09-2011 
Nope - the list is all or nothing. I have a plan. Watch this space.

#8 02-09-2011 
Ah, I'll wait for you plan...

A simple alternative would be to add an announcements area to my Grease Pit: "The Black Board", where only *I* can start new threads, but everyone can respond, and then link that area to portal Tongue

But I trust I'll love your plan even more Heart

#9 02-09-2011 
Not that simple to add an announcements area BO. Be patient.

Will be a subforum - but the ONLY you to start threads needs to be coded up.

#10 02-09-2011 
Its not a problem - how is the random thing?

Sorry, that is a members only option