Sim City Offline is Coming
#1 13-01-2014 
I loved Sim City back in the day so I was excited for Sim City 5 until I learned it was online and multiplayer but it looks like with the latest update they're going to allow you to play single player, offline and with mods. I'm interested to see how this works out -- if it's not a disaster I'll be buying Sims City 5 after all.

Is anyone else interested?

Quote:Let’s get right to it.

SIMCITY OFFLINE IS COMING!

I’ve wanted to say those words for quite some time, so my apologies that I didn’t take the time to say Happy New Year first.

Yes, Offline is coming as a free download with Update 10 to all SimCity players. When we launch it, all of your previously downloaded content will be available to you anytime, anywhere, without the need for an internet connection. We are in the late phases of wrapping up its development and while we want to get it into your hands as soon as possible, our priority is to make sure that it’s as polished as possible before we release it. So, until then… testing, testing and more testing. As one of the final steps, we’re putting Offline into the hands of some of our most hardcore players, the DevTesters. This group of volunteers is going to put Offline through its paces before we release it.

In Update 10, you can still play solo in Regions on your own, or in Multiplayer with people from around the world. What’s new is the Single Player Mode, which allows you to play the game Offline by yourself. And because your saved games in this mode are stored locally, you can save and load to your heart’s content. Our team will be delivering a follow-up blog that will outline the full details in the near future so stay tuned.

So what does this mean for the Online game? All of the benefits of being connected will remain including access to Multiplayer, the Global Market and Leaderboards. And all of your pre-existing saved cities and regions will still be accessible should you log-in to the Online game.

Bringing the game Offline means big things for our wonderful community of Modders. They can now make modifications to the game and its components without compromising the integrity of the Online game. Modding is a big part of our studio’s legacy and we’re excited to see what you guys create. Check out this thread to learn about Oppie85’s Central Train Station, which you can put into your game right now, and if you’re interested in making your own content take a look at the Modding Policy. To get you started, we will be rolling out a series of tutorials from the studio that surfaces how we’ve created some of the content that you’ve seen so far in hopes of inspiring your creativity.

So that’s it from me for the time being. Keep an eye out for more information on Offline shortly. We’ll be releasing more information on how it all works. And as always, get in touch with me on Twitter @EAGamer, I’m always eager to read your feedback.

From me, and everyone at the studio, thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to getting Offline for SimCity into your hands as soon as possible. --SimCity.com

#2 14-01-2014 
Ooh! If this does indeed work out, I might very well buy SC5. I was just like you, I really liked Sim City and was all excited about SC5 and thought it absolutely was something I was going to buy - until I heard it would be online and multiplayer. Then I said "no, thanks."

So I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for more info! Smile Thanks for the heads-up!

#3 15-01-2014 
I'm another person who was really excited to see a new Sim City and then didn't buy it because of the all-online feature. I didn't get Societies either, because the walkthrough looked like nothing but libertarian propaganda.

I want that offline SimCity 5! (it does look like you have to own an online version and be registered and stuff to play the offline version, though: it's the details that will make or break my interest)

Sorry, that is a members only option