Sims 2 Crashing
#21 16-04-2016 
@hirikosaunders I know what you mean. The process of booting up takes a lot of CPU time and memory. The system needs to settle down after that. And if you've just run a large program (like the sims 2, for example) which requires a lot of CPU time and memory, then the system needs to settle down before you start something new.

The more memory you have, and the newer your hardware is, the less time it takes to settle down. If you're running win7 on a 10 yr old system with only 1GB, then it takes quite a while. 10 to 20 minutes is quite normal. But if you're running win7 on a 4 yr old system with 16GB (like me), you can start playing right away.

This settle-down time can be used to read some mail, check facebook, or browse some websites, though. Only the big heavy applications need to wait for a bit.

#22 16-04-2016 
@BoilingOil I have 8Gb right now and can upgrade to 16GB. I don't know how soon though.

My computer is just a year old, which is why I suspect maybe there is a program that takes a lot of processing power, but have no idea what it could be.

#23 16-04-2016 
@hirikosaunders Yeah, if your system is that new, 8GB should actually be enough to run properly. Do you have many programs running in the background (system tray)? And some anti-virus program, perhaps? Those things can be the culprit here.

#24 16-04-2016 
@BoilingOil I don't think so, but then I haven't weeded out programs that start up with the comp and aren't necessary. Eventually I need to do that.

Also, apparently, my comp is prone to overheating. My roommate searched and apparently it's a common problem with it. I have a cooling pad so that helps.

And I can run games one after another without much of a break, but if I want to play I have to shut down the comp, if it has been on all night, and wait a bit after it boots up. Otherwise a crash is super likely.

#25 31-08-2016 
  • Registered
(14-04-2016 09:31 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  @jthompson290 @BoilingOil Recently the Ultimate collection no longer has the SP9 in the config log, it has the EP9 in it. I believe it was part of a change. I have no idea why they made that change - probably just to make things difficult for me. Big Grin

OK. the reason why I wanted to see the exception file is because there is different information showing to the config-log.txt

A lot of it doesn't make sense - even to me. But I'll share with you the things that do make sense.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.

I don't know what the exception code means, cause that requires me to have an intimate knowledge of how EA-Maxis set up their error coding.
What I do know though - is what an ACCESS_VIOLATION is. That's what happens when the programs tries to read somewhere it shouldn't, or tries to write somwhere it can't.

That usually occurs when some piece of coding doesn't finish properly and runs past the end of the program, or when it makes a calculation of where to go and that calculation takes it into an area outside the assigned workspace.

So for example, if it wants to write down some information (e.g. make a new memory for a sim) but tries to write it in a piece of memory that already has a bit of a program in it - it will throw up an access violation.

Now because you're getting this when you go onto a community lot, but not when you go onto a residential lot - and when you're loading the lot - that suggests that there is a good likelihood that something that affects community lots is doing it. Because you're getting it when you attempt to go into all community lots, the likelihood is it's a corrupted mod. or a piece of CC that you use on every lot.

That could be a mod, or a piece of Custom Content - 99% of the time, or it could be a problem with the game under Windows 10 the other 99% of the time. (I know that doesn't add up to 100%)

So, the easiest way to work out which one it is, is to run the game without CC or Mods, and see if it crashes.

How to do that -

1. go into your My Documents/ folder and rename your 'The Sims 2' folder to 'The Sims 2 - saved' (or something like that).
1a. If you have put anything in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins, take them out for the moment.
2. Run your game. This will generate a new 'The Sims 2' folder with a new hood without CC or Mods.
3. Attempt to enter a Community Lot. Try it both without a sim (in lot mode), and with a sim.
4. Come back here and tell me the results.

Sorry, I just got irritated with it and gave up. I came back to it and found that it was some cc, I deleted a few sims I had downloaded (for the skins) and the problem seems to have been solved. Thank you so much

#26 03-09-2016 
(13-04-2016 09:25 PM)jthompson290 Wrote:  @BoilingOil that would definitely be odd because I have never had TS2 installed on this pc by any other means other than the UC from the origin download; probably some way origin, ea, or myself have managed to screw things up. I don't have this issue with any other game though and all of my games are digital except for The sims collection, I don't know normally I can solve my own pc problems but this one has me stumped.
How much empty hard disk space do you have? Just asking.

Sorry, never mind.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option