Game lagging in neighborhood mode and on lots
#1 26-02-2017 
Hi everyone,

My game suddenly started lagging badly today. I had a 4 hour gameplay earlier today, when I started getting pink flashing (that has been happening more often lately, not sure why). I decided to do some research on the pink flashing thing, came across the Graphics Rules Maker and thought that would help. Well, after installing it, I tried to changed the amount of memory on it then restarted the game. It loads up fine (takes about 30 mins to boot up completely) but as soon as I get to the 'hood I want, it lags so slowly. Even the lots seems to take forever. Not sure what is causing this at all. I deleted the graphics program because I figured that was causing the problem ,but it is still doing it. Any help on fixing this would be great. Thanks! I am running the Sims 2 on Windows 10.

Attached File(s)
.txt  SARRA-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.4 KB / Downloads: 487)
Spiky_Kitty, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2015.

#2 26-02-2017 
Update: I decided to keep poking around until I get some answers, and discovered my refresh rate box was greyed out, which it usually isn't. I also saw the graphics program I installed put something in my sgr file, but not sure if it can be safely deleted.

ETA: Went in-game again, it's still laggy but now my resolution is only 800x600! Sad I hope I did not break my game
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 08:23 PM by Spiky_Kitty.)

#3 03-03-2017 
@Spiky_Kitty

You need to do the following:

1. Download [url="http://www.simthing.net/cards/GraphicsRules-Radeon-NoFixes.rar"]Graphic Rules - Radeon - No Texture Fix[/url]
2. You don't mention whether you have Sims 2 with what expansion packs or whether you have Ultimate Collection. So Install this file in
If you have the DVD's

In the Program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\
MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

If you have Ultimate Collection:

In the Program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\
MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

That will fix your resolution, and allow you to put your smooth edges on.

You are getting the pink flashing because you are using up your texture memory, and once the texture memory is full, it replaces the existing textures that it has loaded into memory with the new ones. Instead of loading the old one back in again, it flashes pink.

Check your thumbnails folder in your game:
\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails\

And see if you have any thumbnail packages that are larger than 100Mb. If you do they are probably bloated and loading up into texture memory. Delete them and let the game regenerate them. That should help some.

Then you will need to reduce the number of huge textures that you have in your game - Start with the number of beddings, Jonesi's blanket and so on. Anything that has a texture of 1024x1024 or greater. You can have them in game, just have 25-50-100 instead of 100's and 1000's.

Once you've done the first bit, we'll work on the lag.

#4 09-03-2017 
Ok, I have tried everything you suggested, and I went in game just to see if it will work and it did! Everything is back to normal, no lag, and my resolution options came back. I did reduce my beddings because I had a ton of them, and also files that did not have any meshes, so now everything is smoother. Thanks so much Smile

#5 09-03-2017 
@Spiky_Kitty

Cool! I'll tag this post with solved then, but feel free to reply in it again if the lag turns up again.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option