Asking for advice on buying new or used laptop
#1 28-09-2020 
  • Registered
Hello there, thank you for reading!

First of all, I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section. If I am, my sincerest apologies. I would also like to thank the simmers active on this forum. You have saved my game several times during the last few years.

Unfortunately, I recently had to buy a new laptop, and I couldn't get the Sims 2 to run on it, no matter what. It has a 9nth gen i5 processor, and a GTX 1050 card, so it was to be expected, but even so... Just in case anyone didn't know this - my game could run on it just fine after I uninstalled the most recent expansions. Everything up to and including seasons worked just fine (with the graphics fixes in place, of course).

Anyway, if it is not too much of a bother, I would really like some advice on buying a new or used laptop specifically for the Sims 2. I have a limited budget - and limited knowledge of hardware - I can install a new OS (windows 8.1, if necessary), but that's about it.

Based on Kunder's recommendations, the closest thing I could find to a suitable new laptop is this:

HP Pavillion 15-cw0900nd. The CPU is called AMD A9-9425 and it has Radeon R5 graphics.

Does anyone here have experience with a similar model? I could probably roll back the OS to Windows 8.1 if necessary, but I would prefer Windows 10 if at all possible.

For a used laptop, I'm looking at a Lenovo L450 with a i5-4300 processor and intel HD graphics (doesn't say which card specifically). I've found a really good Lenovo W540 with K1100M graphics too, but it is at the top end of my budget and I'm not sure about its condition.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.

*Edited title to better reflect the question, and the models of the mentioned laptops, since I confused the two*
(This post was last modified: 29-09-2020 11:40 AM by Coruil.)

#2 10-11-2020 
Have you bought a laptop yet? Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

#3 10-11-2020 
  • Registered
Hello Kunder,

No worries, thank you so much for replying! In the end I decided to follow your recommendations in the sticky thread and I'm really glad I did so. I bought a second hand Dell E6440 and asked a local computer technician to replace the hard drive with an SSD and expand the RAM to 8 GB. It looks like it is working well so far (haven't been able to install everything yet). I may have to install Windows 8 in the near future, if Windows 10 get updated and my game starts throwing fits again, but I can deal with that.

Anyway, thanks again!

#4 11-11-2020 
@Coruil it sounds like you did well. Congratulations!

Sorry, that is a members only option