Sims 2 still crashing: I don't know what to do anymore
#1 29-12-2020 
  • Registered
Hi, I hope someone can help me. So I have some problems with my game crashing. I already applied the 4gb patch, did the memory allocation fix, tried reducing my custom content (I had a looot and still around 15 GB) and I use the graphic rules maker. Still my game crashes on a regular basis and in my sims2exception the exception code is Access Violation.
I have Windows 10, an Intel® Pentium® CPU 4417U @ 2.30 GHz processor and 8 GB RAM.
Regarding the 4gb patch, my memory in the config-log.txt is always at 4096 MB, but my free memory is switching around between 3000-4096 MB. So the free memory is not always at 4096. I tried so much and I love that game, so it would be great if it would finally work for me. So if anyone could help me that would be great!
I attached my config-log and my last sims 2 exception, maybe that helps.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-FOASM6G-config-log.txt (Size: 10.61 KB / Downloads: 272)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2020.12.29 19.14.57.txt (Size: 14.11 KB / Downloads: 268)

#2 29-12-2020 
Hi @hauntinggrief, could you attach a dxdiag for us, please?

Also, do you have other programs running while you are playing? With only 8 GB or RAM on a Win 10 machine, I think you should not do that. Especially, since you have a rather large amount of CC...
Also, clean out programs that are running in the background (system tray) and after booting the machine or closing unneeded programs, let the machine sit still for a few minutes to clean up working memory, before you start the game.

Or get more RAM installed. THAT will improve the situation for sure!

#3 29-12-2020 
  • Registered
Thank you for the quick answer and the tricks @BoilingOil ! No I never let any programs run while I am playing. So I probably have to either reduce my cc or get more RAM installed.
I hope the DxDiag.txt is the one you need Smile

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 90.44 KB / Downloads: 297)

#4 30-12-2020 
@hauntinggrief, yes, that will do nicely...

And I think that I have already found the problem.

Quote:Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7612MB RAM

Here we see that part of your memory is already used before the game even starts. This is normal.

Quote:Display Memory: 3933 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 3805 MB

And here we see that your on-board graphics card takes 3805 MB from your system RAM to do its work. 7612 - 3805 equals 3807 MB. So yes, sometimes, when the video card uses all of the 3805 MB that it can get, there is less than 4096 MB left. That's why you don't always have 4GB available. This, too, is quite normal.

And here is the issue: The Sims 2, especially if you have a lot of expansion packs (or if you have the UC), needs more than 4096 MB, not less. So your system may have 8 GB RAM, but in this case, that is not enough. You need at least 12 GB or, better still, 16 GB. And if you go for the 12 GB option, then I think that you do indeed need to also think carefully about getting rid of some of the CC...

So, your guess is right: the solution to your problem is more RAM and/or less CC. Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but this is how it is.

#5 30-12-2020 
After looking at your logs... I'm betting it's a CC-problem. Either too much, or a bad piece.
Try the 50/50 sorting method - and Good Luck!

#6 30-12-2020 
  • Registered
@BoilingOil No problem, thank you for your help! I would have probably gone crazy with all that trying. Maybe in a few years with a new computer I'll be able to play it, for now, I am just happy that I now know what the problem is:
Again thank you Smile

Also thank you @CatherineTCJD Smile

#7 30-12-2020 
@hauntinggrief actually, I just thought of one other thing you could try, although I cannot guarantee that it will help. What you could do, is give the graphics card less texture memory. That way, the game would always have at least 4096 MB available. The drawback is, that you might have to lower graphics quality or your resolution, and that the game may still have a hard time because 4096 MB continues to be sparse memory when dealing with the UC. And there is also the chance that the graphics card doesn't like having less memory, in which case this doesn't help at all!

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option