Perpetually stuck at 800x600 despite trying everything I could find to try
#1 10-10-2024 
  • Registered
Windows 11 Home 64-bit, fully up to date, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, 32Gb Dual-Channel DDR4 RAM, 16368MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT, and the rest probably isn't important to know (though I'll share if you need it).

This is a desktop computer, new build. This is the first time I've installed Sims 2 since the build (the CD version, not the combined one from EA), and it's driving me nuts. I had it working for a while with the right screen resolution, but it would crash when it got to "creating magic" (which it still does, but one problem at a time), but now it's stuck at 800x600 resolution and nothing I do, no fix I try works, and believe me, I've been working at this for days and I've tried everything that seemed even remotely reasonable.

Graphics Rules Maker seems to recognise my video card, so I don't know what's going on there. I tried manually tinkering with the files and few other things. Nothing works. I'm stumped.

I've attached the latest log. I did look at some information on how to read the log and what it means, but I'm still stumped as to how to fix this. Please point me in the right direction.

Attached File(s)
.txt  FAIRYDUSTER-config-log.txt (Size: 10.1 KB / Downloads: 9)
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2024 01:41 PM by LadyMacGuffin.)

#2 10-10-2024 
With an AMD card, you may need the DXVK-thingie? I'm not sure - I have an NVIDIA card, and don't use it myself. But I know a lot of people do.

Also - if you are dead set on using your CD install - here is a handy guide: https://shinki26.tumblr.com/post/7200142...-guide-for

Although... I thoroughly recommend Osab's Starter Pack (which is Origin's UC, updated and supported for modern machines.)
AND it is fully supported... Osab is very helpful! The link to his Discord channel is included in the guide/download.

#3 11-10-2024 
  • Registered
I tried that. Still had the same issue, sadly. That was what made it so that I couldn't get out of 800x600 in the first place, weirdly. Thanks, though.

I've even done a couple of full reinstalls to start fresh.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option