Game crashes when I use the highest settings, but I don't want to lower them
#1 21-07-2024 
  • Registered
I can play the game without any problems when I'm using mid-to-low graphics, but when I turn it to the max the game crashes. If I move the camera too fast or try to go to a different lot the game crashes. I don't want to use lower settings, and I'm pretty sure my computer can handle the highest settings (I can play other games in the highest resolution possible with ease). I figure it's because my settings don't allow the game to reach its full capacity. I'm using Windows 10, and run the game windowed without any compatibility settings. I'll attach my config log in case it's needed. I also use Graphics Rules Maker with a 2G force texture memory, and I think I have the 4GB patch installed. Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-RLFCKRO-config-log.txt (Size: 10.57 KB / Downloads: 26)

#2 22-07-2024 
I think it would be most helpful if we could see a recent DxDiag.txt, please?
Since the Available RAM line *does* say that you have 4096 MB free, I'm sure that you *do* have the 4GB patch going.

I'm not quite sure if I would want to have the force 2G setting switched on, though. Because if you have more available, that setting would actually LIMIT your video capabilities. But if you have a LOT of CC, your system might have trouble getting the 2G for the graphics, maybe even causing crashes when trying to use memory that is already being used for CC. Just try playing without the force 2G setting for a bit, to see if it helps.

#3 22-07-2024 
  • Registered
Thank you for your response! I do have a LOT of CC (or at least I think I have more CC in my game than most people). I'll try loading the game without the force 2G settings. Meanwhile, here's the DxDiag.txt

Edit: I tried to open the game without the 2GB setting, and got a popup saying that there are no graphics adapter compatible with DirectX 9.0c. When I put the setting back, the game ran as usual

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 82.87 KB / Downloads: 21)
(This post was last modified: 22-07-2024 10:36 PM by pokopoko.)

#4 23-07-2024 
Well, at least we've tried that.

But this has me really perplexed:
From the DxDiag:
Code:
Card name: Radeon RX550/550 Series
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x699F)

From the Config-log:
Code:
Name (driver):   GeForce 7800 GTX
Name (database): GeForce 7800 GTX
Vendor:          NVIDIA

Your game uses a graphics card that, according to your DxDiag, does NOT exist in your system... Maybe you should try and fix that part.

#5 23-07-2024 
The mis-matched video card info makes me think you are using the dvkx-whatever-it-is-thingie. That is not necessary with Nvidia cards.
Even if you don't have an Nvidia card, you might not need it. So - follow the guide, and remove the .dll it uses from back in your ProgramFiles/game-install folder.

Which set-up of the game are you using? Disks, Origin's UC, Old-Games, Osab's Starter Pack, etc?

Also... the very first thing you need to do, is go back to a basic "vanilla" no mods/cc set up. Once you get THAT game stable, then you can add back in all your mods/cc-goodies.
To create a completely fresh 'vanilla' game save - just rename your old one, and start the game. It will create a new game-save folder for you. Like this:

The only game it will load is the top one, labeled "EA Games". Once you get the game working as you want it - with the highest graphic settings your machine can handle - then you can add/transfer the stuff over from your other game-save files.

#6 24-07-2024 
  • Registered
I am in fact using DXVK (Sorry for not mentioning it, I forgot to include that information). I started using it because I had issues with pink soup, and it got to the point that I wasn't even able to get in neighborhood view without everything turning pink. I don't really remember which version I'm using. I know it's the Ultimate Collection, but I'm not sure where I got it from, I think it's the Old Games version.
I'll try to uninstall it, and see how it plays without cc. Is there anything else I can do to try and fix this?

#7 24-07-2024 
Start with pure vanilla game, and make sure everything works: you can load and play houses, go downtown, go on vacations, make sims and pets in CAS, etc...
While you are testing out the basic functions, make note of the behaviors you just can't live with (like for me, the sloppy eating habits and the sun salute.) Make those "fix" mods the first ones you add back in. I would add back in mods first (before CC) - you know, things that change how the game works. Play/test with just the mods - as you add them - and keep checking for pink soup.

If your game is stable with the mods - add some CC... If it were me, I'd do build stuff and furniture sets first. But, you may rather do clothing, hair, and make-up?
Whichever you prefer - add one type, in small bunches, before the other. Keep watching for pink soup! (I'm betting your pink soup problems come from your clothing or hairs.)

Remember this is an old game. You just can NOT stick in every piece of CC that you might want someday. Be picky!

After everything is back together again - and you have a set of mods/CC that works and is stable - make a "go to" backup of it.
Start another new game save (like I said how to do above) and then try importing one of your old hoods. Your CC may be different, so expect to have to make "repairs" here and there, but it should all be good (meaning playable.)

Good luck! Cool

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option