Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! when loading a household.
#1 22-07-2024 
  • Registered
Hi! I am having a similar problem as a recent unsolved post. When I try and load a household, I get the message "Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate." after a few seconds of loading. The game then shuts down. I could play the game for about two weeks before I started having this issue. This happens for any household. I have the The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, installed through osab's webinstaller.

I have tried several fixes, such as reinstalling the game, updating my drivers, deleting the userProbs file, lowering textures, changing the resolution, but the error persists. I would be super appreciative of any help!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 106.94 KB / Downloads: 37)
.txt  SPACE2301-config-log.txt (Size: 10.65 KB / Downloads: 26)

#2 23-07-2024 
Your config-log says you're running with Force Texture Memory 256MB. THAT is most certainly not going to work, as it is way too little.
According to your DxDiag, your system appears to have 16GB of RAM available, so I would advise getting your Texture Memory up to 2GB at least.

#3 24-07-2024 
  • Registered
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this. I had it set so low because the dedicated video RAM of my computer is only 124 MB, though I've increased it to 512 MB in the BIOS. I took your suggestion and have tried increasing it to 512, 1024, 2016, and 4096 MB, but the error occurs at the same time for all of them so I don't think it's the issue?

#4 24-07-2024 
No need to thank me just yet. After all, we don't have your game working correctly yet.

(24-07-2024 01:49 AM)cheesers Wrote:  tried increasing it to 512, 1024, 2016, and 4096 MB, but the error occurs at the same time for all of them so I don't think it's the issue?

Let me correct that for you... It might not be the ONLY issue. There is probably something else that needs to be looked into as well, but I just do not know what it is. I hope that someone else is going to come along and help with that part of your problem.
But believe me, a texture memory setting of 256 MB is NOT going to work well for your game. And 512 MB isn't enough, either, and I think that 4096 is a bit too much for your system.
1024 MB *might* work, but I would go with 2048 MB. I do not know where you got the 2016 from... it's a weird number in this context.

#5 28-07-2024 
  • Registered
I'll continue trying to fix the issue, and I'll keep the texture memory at 2048 mb in the meantime. Thank you for looking into it Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option